Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University


The VA Program has been set up by CSU to recognize the contribution of individuals who are not employees of CSU to the teaching, research, scholarship, creative work or management of the University.

Duties of VA Staff

Science HVA ProgramThe duties attached to VA appointments might include, for example, research collaboration; supervision and mentoring of students undertaking research or practicums; participation in consultancies; contribution to distance education materials; teaching or guest lecturing and associated examining.  Adjunct titleholders may contribute to the delivery of a CSU program, or contribute to ongoing research or scholarship activities.  In some instances, they would be employees of partner institutions who collaborate in the delivery of CSU programs.

Benefits of being a VA

Science HVA ProgramVisiting and Adjunct titleholders do not attract salary of any kind from CSU. Visiting titleholders may receive a stipend to cover travel and associated expenses and Adjunct titleholders may be employed as casual academics, subject to the right to work in Australia.  Payment for work undertaken for CSU must be taken as taxable income and cannot be set aside for professional development.  Core privileges for VA Staff may include access to one or more of the following:

  • access to the physical and online resources of the Division of Library Services;
  • access to on-site information technology services, a CSU logon, use of the Internet for CSU purposes, and email; and
  • a Staff ID Card specifying the card holder is a member of the VA Staff.

How to become a Visiting or Adjunct staff member

Science HVA ProgramMake contact with the appropriate School or Centre Contact Person.  VA appointments are made by a 'nominator' (CSU staff member) completing a Recommendation to Offer a Visiting or Adjunct Appointment form for the intended appointee and attaches a comprehensive curriculum vitae.  The appropriate Head of School or Director of Centre will then be asked to make a recommendation to the Dean, or Deputy Vice-Chancellor, as appropriate.