Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University

Student Support


Professional Placements - HorticultureCSU holds insurance which covers students' activities while they are undertaking workplace learning. Details of the insurance coverage relevant to workplace learning are provided by the Division of Finance. The Division of Finance provides certificates of currency which can be downloaded.

Personal accident insurance is provided for students. Information about the policy is available through Student Central including details of the limits and claims process.

The insurance cover does not cover students undertaking additional work experience unless this is a recognised requirement of a course.

Incident reporting

In the event students experience an incident or injury while on placement then they are required to complete and submit the CSU accident and incident form. They may also be required to complete forms as required by the Industry partner where they are undertaking workplace learning.

Pre-placement requirements

Students are often required to complete mandatory pre-placement requirements before they undertake any period of workplace learning. These will be determined by the course that the student is enrolled in but could include:Professional Placements - Paramedics

Students are advised of these requirements prior to enrolment via University Admission Guides, and following enrolment by their subject outlines, verbal announcements, placement manuals, email and Interact postings. The Faculty of Science has developed a policy to describe the responsibilities, processes and consequences related to meeting pre-placement requirements. Any costs associated with meeting these requirements are to be met by students.

Obtaining a Uniform


Students in the Faculty of Science who are involved in workplace learning may be exposed vaccine-preventable diseases. Costs of screening tests and vaccination are to be met by students.

Students enrolled in the following courses must comply with policy requirements for vaccination against infectious diseases prior to placement within the NSW Health System, and most other Australian State Health Systems.

  • Nursing
  • Physiotherapy
  • Clinical Science
  • Medical Science / Forensic Biotechnology
  • Forensic Biotechnology
  • Clinical Practice (Paramedic)
  • Dental Science
  • Medical Radiation Science (Medical Imaging and Nuclear Medicine)
  • Biotechnology (Medical)
  • Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Speech Pathology
  • Health and Rehabilitation Science
  • Podiatry
  • Pharmacy

Students completing placements at a facility operated by NSW Health must have a documented screening and vaccination history available whenever on placement in accordance with the policy Occupational Assessment Screening and Vaccination Against Specific Infectious Diseases (PD2011_005)

Compliance with this policy is mandatory for all students on clinical placement. The Policy requires that you consult your local doctor to obtain written proof of protection against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox and hepatitis B.

Results of these vaccinations are kept on a personal record card (available from the School through which the student is studying). This card must be presented, upon request, by NSW Health, or other State Health staff, whilst the student is on placement. For some placements this card will need to be presented in advance of the placement.

Workplace administration staff will monitor completion of immunisation requirements prior to placements and non-compliance with these requirements will lead to student being unable to complete their placements.

As a full course of vaccinations may take several months to complete (e.g. Hepatitis B), students are advised to consult their local medical practitioner well in advance of the commencement of their first clinical experience placement.

Students will be advised about processes for Screening for tuberculosis.

Further information is available from the NSW Health web site

Students enrolled in Veterinary Science and Agriculture courses are required to engage in a Q fever immunisation program. Q fever is an occupational hazard to veterinarians and others involved with livestock.  It is caused by Coxiella burnetii, a rickettsial organism, which infects a variety of domestic and wild animals (especially cattle, sheep, goats, macropods and bandicoots). Infected animals are often symptomless but are important sources of infection for people, as high numbers of the organism are shed in urine, faeces, milk and in the products of parturition. Direct contact by inhalation is the commonest route of infection in man. In people the disease can be severe and debilitating but is rarely fatal. Clinically it is similar to influenza (muscle pains, severe headache and high fever) and is usually rapidly self-limiting but it can also be recurrent (Q fever fatigue syndrome) or result in pneumonia, liver or heart problems.

Q-fever vaccination is compulsory to enable you to participate in the practical components of the veterinary science and agriculture courses. If you have previously been vaccinated or have immunity, documentation to that effect is required to be sighted and recorded by the Schools administration staff.

Students will be advised of the timing of the Q fever vaccination program.

First Aid

Students enrolling in some courses are required to have a current First Aid certificate when completing workplace learning: First Aid Courses

Student Clearances for Clinical Placements

Students undertaking placements in Health care facilities are required to comply with clearances and to provide documentation on arrival at placement. The student clearance requirements are outlined on the NSW Health website - Notice to Students enrolling in courses that require clinical placements in NSW Public Health Facilities (Ref: S3).

Professional Placements - Science

You are advised to read this notice carefully and ensure that you have understood and complied with its requirements. Failure to do so will result in your clinical placements being delayed.

  • You must undergo a National Criminal Record Check either through your state or territory police service or through the Australian Federal Police in order to obtain a National Police Certificate.
  • As part of the enrolment process with the Tertiary Institution you will be required to read and sign the NSW Health Student Undertaking. The NSW Health Student Undertaking requires you to notify the NSW Department of Health, Corporate Governance and Risk Management Branch, External Relations and Employment Screening Unit if you are charged or convicted of a criminal offence after the date of issue of your National Police Certificate or during the completion of your course.
  • Before commencing each clinical placement, you are required to have read the NSW Health Code of Conduct and signed a form confirming that you have read, understood and will comply with the NSW Health Code of Conduct. The signed agreement must be given to the NSW Public Health Facility at the commencement of your placement.
  • Under NSW law, any person who has been convicted of a serious sex offence, the murder of a child or a child-related personal violence offence or who is a Registrable Person under the Child Protection (Offenders Registration) Act 2000, is prohibited from working in child-related employment. Before commencing each clinical placement, you will be required to sign a CCYP Student Declaration form, which you must provide to the NSW Public Health Facility. You should download this form from the NSW Health Website.
  • If you are an overseas student, you must have:
    • a valid Australian National Police Certificate that shows no records as well as an overseas Police Certificate or Statutory Declaration showing that you have no criminal records or
    • a valid Clinical Placement Authority Card or Conditional Letter from NSW Health

Professional Placements - Agriculture

Food Handling and Safety

Many workplaces require staff members to have completed a basic food safety course prior to commencing work or at least before handling food in a therapy situation. As work places have this expectation of staff members, it is appropriate for students doing placements at these workplaces to have also completed a basic food safety course prior to commencing placement.

Completing basic food safety training is compulsory for students on courses where when they are on placements which will involve some degree of handling food, such as occupational therapy and speech pathology courses. In other courses, such as physiotherapy and podiatry, food safety training is not compulsory, but may be recommended depending on the type of placement a student will attend.

Manual Handling Online Training Instructions
Hand Hygiene Online Training Instructions

Student Registration

From March 2011 nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, podiatry, dentistry and pharmacy students will be required to be registered with the Australian Health Professionals Regulating Authority (AHPRA).

Information about student registration can be found on the AHPRA website.